Michael Wacker gave a great presentation on google in my ECMP355 online class. I have used “home and office apps” such as Google docs, drive, calender, and slides.
My favorite part of using these with students is:
1. Documents automatically save!! No more, “oh no, I forgot to save it!”. There is no save button. I found out from Michael that you can actually go back and find previous revisions – so if it accidentally saves and you want a former version you can find it!
2. You can access your documents anywhere with internet! No need for lost, broke, stolen, forgotten Usb sticks.
3. There is layered permission! You can choose who can view, edit, and/or comment on your documents.
4. Saves on paper and having to carry papers around for marking. Students will also have a record of there work and comments from the teacher that they can’t loose so they can reflect back on it.
5.You can have a multiple layered calender that can be shared with others. You can have a personal calender that no one else can see and have a calender for every classroom, family, organizations, and friend group that you have
6. You can upload your itunes – this was news from me when I heard this from Micheal
7. Google is not just docs its apps! I found this out in my last couple of weeks of my internship so I have not had a chance to play around with them too much but I always tell people to play around with technology and that’s the best way you will learn. For somethings a manual is definitely needed but I like to play around and explore with technology
Fun fact I learned: “Google” was originally called “BackRub”